List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jules Bean Date:April 24 1999 2:25pm
Subject:Re: File sizes on remote server
View as plain text
Mimi Church wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions, Sasha.  Unfortunately they won't solve the
> problem.
>
> 1. I can't telnet into the remote mySQL server.  I assume this is one way
> the host provides protection for a shared db server.
>
> 2. I can estimate the sizes of the tables using the method you describe
> (and even estimate the size required by indices, thanks to good mySQL docs
> / utils).  I've done this and estimate a total size of around 12 MB for all
> tables.  The ISP reports that my tables in the db occupy 618 MB.  I suspect
> that one (at least) of the tables has been corrupted, and even though I
> drop, recreate the table, and reimport data, somehow things aren't really
> getting cleaned up.  But I need to be able to look at the actual file sizes
> to pursue this theory.
>
> Any further suggestions on how to address this problem would be most
> appreciated.  I'm stuck.

As far as I know, there's no way of doing this (I expect Monty will
speak up if I'm wrong).

Can't you persuade your ISP to email you a ls -l of your table files?
Then you can see if they've made some foolish mistake (perhaps believe
that another similarly named table is yours).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@stripped         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@stripped        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |
File sizes on remote serverMimi Church24 Apr
  • Re: File sizes on remote serverSasha Pachev24 Apr
    • Re: File sizes on remote serverMimi Church24 Apr
      • Re: File sizes on remote serverPaul DuBois24 Apr
  • Re: File sizes on remote serverJules Bean24 Apr
    • Re: File sizes on remote serverMichael Widenius25 Apr
  • Re: File sizes on remote serverSasha Pachev24 Apr
Re: File sizes on remote serverFred Lindberg24 Apr