List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 4 2000 10:32pm
Subject:Optimize Table
View as plain text

>> From: Michael Widenius [mailto:monty@stripped]
>> You have to use MyISAM to get this feature;  I didn't want to touch
>> the 'quite stable' ISAM code with the large changes that was required
>> to get this to work.

Steven> Speaking of...

Steven> We have a table (OK, really a set of 10 tables) that we use to hold a cache.
Steven> This table gets so many deletes, and inserts, it is constantly changing.
Steven> After a week, the site dies to MySQL performance problems, easily solved by
Steven> isamchk'ing the cache tables. Or using 'Optimize table'.

Steven> Since we are on Linux, and would have to take down the server to do a
Steven> isamchk, we use 'optimize table' instead. This works fine, unless the tables
Steven> get corrupted, which happens to these tables from time to time, I think do
Steven> to the amount of deletes, etc, happening. When optimize table find one of
Steven> these, MySQL crashes (in the middle of the night).

Steven> Once upon a time, I think I remember Monty saying that there would be an
Steven> update such that you can run isamchk from inside mysql. Does this mean that
Steven> optimize table will be more stable? Will we be able to do isamchk calls with
Steven> Linux without taking down the server?

Yes to all of the above;  Jani or Sasha will starting to work on
integrating myisamchk (not isamchk) into the server within 2 weeks.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Insert delayed causing table corruption?struanb29 Nov
  • Re: Insert delayed causing table corruption?sinisa29 Nov
  • Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius28 Dec
    • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Steven Roussey29 Dec
      • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius29 Dec
        • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Steven Roussey29 Dec
          • Re: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Sasha Pachev29 Dec
          • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius30 Dec
        • Table lockingSteven Roussey4 Jan
          • Re: Table lockingBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jan
            • Re: Table lockingMichael Widenius4 Jan
              • Optimize TableSteven Roussey5 Jan
                • Optimize TableMichael Widenius5 Jan
            • RE: Table lockingSteven Roussey4 Jan
RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Andy29 Dec
  • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius30 Dec
RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Andy30 Dec
  • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius30 Dec
    • The table 'SQL24d1ab_0' is fullDavid Moreno S.30 Dec
      • Re: The table 'SQL24d1ab_0' is fulljpabuyer30 Dec