List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jatin Davey Date:June 2 2014 2:56pm
Subject:Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPU
View as plain text
I found this blog while trying to find a fix for my problem. Thought it
might be useful to share.

Here it is:

http://whirlpool.net.au/blog/5

Thanks
Jatin

On 6/2/2014 8:22 PM, Jatin Davey wrote:
> Certain part of our code uses DataNucleas while other parts of the
> code use JDBC to access the DB.
>
> I would say that 70% of our code uses DataNucleas while the remaining
> 30% of our code uses JDBC for databases related operations.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin
>
> On 6/2/2014 8:17 PM, Singer Wang wrote:
>> What's your technology stack?
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Jatin Davey <jashokda@stripped
>> <mailto:jashokda@stripped>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 6/2/2014 7:18 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>>         Am 02.06.2014 15:35, schrieb Jatin Davey:
>>
>>             I am no expert with mysql and databases. Hence seeking out
>>             some help on this forum.
>>
>>             Basically i got a query dump of my application during its
>>             operation. I had collected the queries for about 4 hours.
>>             Ran some scripts on the number of queries being sent to
>>             the databases.
>>
>>             The query file was a whopping 4 GB is size. Upon analyzing
>>             the queries i found that there were a total of 30
>>             million queries made to the Database out of which 10
>>             million queries were only doing "SHOW FULL COLUMN" queries.
>>
>>             The SHOW FULL COLUMN queries were of the format as below:
>>
>>             SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM
>>             `APIC_PHY_FABRIC_PHYSICAL_INTERFACE` FROM
>>             `db_private_admin` LIKE '%'
>>
>>             This is causing considerable cpu usage in %user_time in my
>>             system
>>
>>         fix your application - there is no single reason to run such
>>         queries 10 million times because the result won't change all
>>         the time
>>
>>         and avoid like in general
>>

>>     Our application does not send such queries to the DB. I have
>>     searched through my entire code and we dont run such queries. It
>>     has something to do with a layer below our application. But i am
>>     not sure as to where it is.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>     Jatin
>>

>>     --     MySQL General Mailing List
>>     For list archives: http://lists.mysql.com/mysql

SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey2 Jun 2014
  • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUReindl Harald2 Jun 2014
    • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey2 Jun 2014
      • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUMichael Dykman2 Jun 2014
        • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey2 Jun 2014
      • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUSinger Wang2 Jun 2014
        • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey2 Jun 2014
          • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey2 Jun 2014
            • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUMorgan Tocker2 Jun 2014
              • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey3 Jun 2014
          • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJohan De Meersman2 Jun 2014
            • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJohan De Meersman3 Jun 2014
              • Re: SHOW FULL COLUMNS QUERIES hogging my CPUJatin Davey3 Jun 2014