List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rajeev Prasad Date:May 28 2014 8:39pm
Subject:Re: indexing on column having duplicate values
View as plain text
(re-sending, i got err from yahoo)

thx Reindl,

I am using phpMyAdmin, i looked closely and found "index" is this index you are talking
about? (earlier i used "Primary").

My further question is: the index key here is going to be epoch system time. I currently
have it as integer 10. The table will grow very fast (about 5 million rows within 12
months) and will be updated atleast twice in 24 hours. So I have to consider the price i
am going to pay to rebuild the index on each INSERT, (about ~42000 records every 12
hours).

what would you/all suggest?
shoud I have an index key? all searches will be based on index key mostly, and sometimes
another 'unindexed' column.
should i change my index key to character type?
should i index the other 'unindexed column' also?
_or_
should i simply go grabbing on an unindexed table?

thanks and regards.
Rajeev

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:50 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped> wrote:

Am 28.05.2014 21:43, schrieb Rajeev Prasad:
> I am going to have a big table with lot of records, to expedite searching i wanted to
> index on a key field (which is numeric value). BUT, there will be records which will have
> same value for the key field (other columns will be different).
>
> so how can i do this? right now, i am getting error, about duplicate entries and they
> are being discarded. All entries are important and I have to find a way to locate records
> based on this key field.

who said that a key needs to be unique?

just get phpMyAdmin to learn such things
there you see two different types of keys and after assign you get the sql command
Thread
indexing on column having duplicate valuesRajeev Prasad28 May 2014
  • Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesReindl Harald28 May 2014
Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesReindl Harald28 May 2014
Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesRajeev Prasad28 May 2014
  • Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesReindl Harald28 May 2014