List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:May 28 2014 8:39pm
Subject:Re: indexing on column having duplicate values
View as plain text

Am 28.05.2014 22:29, schrieb Rajeev Prasad:
> I am using phpMyAdmin, i looked closely and found "index" is this index you are
> talking about? (earlier i used "Primary").

surely

primary is a uniqe key, honestly consider to read some manuals

> My further question is: the index key here is going to be epoch system time. I
> currently
> have it as integer 10. The table will grow very fast (about 5 million rows within 12
> months)
> and will be updated atleast twice in 24 hours. So I have to consider the price i am
> going to
> pay to rebuild the index on each INSERT, (about ~42000 records every 12 hours).

you need to try it out in doubt

> what would you/all suggest?
> shoud I have an index key? all searches will be based on index key mostly,
> and sometimes another 'unindexed' column.
> should i change my index key to character type?
> should i index the other 'unindexed column' also?
> _or_
> should i simply go grabbing on an unindexed table?

that are basic questions

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/optimization-indexes.html

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:50 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped>
> wrote:
>
> Am 28.05.2014 21:43, schrieb Rajeev Prasad:
>> I am going to have a big table with lot of records, to expedite searching i
> wanted to index on a key field (which is numeric value). BUT, there will be records which
> will have same value for the key field (other columns will be different).
>>
>> so how can i do this? right now, i am getting error, about duplicate entries and
> they are being discarded. All entries are important and I have to find a way to locate
> records based on this key field.
>
> who said that a key needs to be unique?
>
> just get phpMyAdmin to learn such things
> there you see two different types of keys and after assign you get the sql command

indexing on column having duplicate valuesRajeev Prasad28 May 2014
  • Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesReindl Harald28 May 2014
Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesReindl Harald28 May 2014
Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesRajeev Prasad28 May 2014
  • Re: indexing on column having duplicate valuesReindl Harald28 May 2014