List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:shawn l.green Date:May 14 2014 8:03pm
Subject:Re: multilple mysql engines, one set of shared table spaces? (addendum)
View as plain text

On 5/14/2014 3:45 PM, shawn l.green wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>
> On 5/14/2014 2:11 PM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>> OK, put away the flamethrowers, I KNOW it's dumb.
>>
>> I've been asked for the upteenth time is this possible and if so under
>> what conditions?
>>
>> So I pose the question to the community, is it? Under what conditions?
>> Is it reliable or not?
>>
>> Are there authoritative references to support the answers?
>>
>> Inquiring minds want to know
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Bruce Ferrell
>>

> To provide confirmation that sharing files is a 'bad idea' between any
> two running mysqld binaries, here are the instructions in the manual on
> how to have two or more mysqld instances (which can be the same program
> or two or more different versions of mysqld) running on your machine at
> the same time. Consider a shared disk as being part of the same machine
> as it's the files that really matter in your situation.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/multiple-servers.html
>
> Really. I mean it. Don't do it.

However, if what you want to do is have two MySQL instances setup to
point to the same files from the same machine or different host machines
(such as in a shared SAN disk), you can do that but only one (and I do
mean exactly one) of them may be started up at a time.  This is known as
an Active/Passive configuration and it is one of our published HA options.

http://www.mysql.com/content/download/id/284/

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN