List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Larry Martell Date:May 14 2014 12:05pm
Subject:Performance boost by splitting up large table?
View as plain text
We have a table with 254 columns in it. 80% of the time, a very small
subset of these columns are queried. The other columns are rarely, if
ever, queried. (But they could be at any time, so we do need to
maintain them.). Would I expect to get a marked performance boost if I
split my table up into 2 tables, one with the few frequently queried
columns and another with less frequently queried ones? Doing this will
require a lot of code changes, so I don't want to go down this path if
it won't be beneficial. Can folks here offer their experiences and
learned opinions about this?

Thanks!
Thread
Performance boost by splitting up large table?Larry Martell14 May 2014
  • Re: Performance boost by splitting up large table?Sukhjinder K. Narula14 May 2014
  • Re: Performance boost by splitting up large table?Morgan Tocker14 May 2014
    • Re: Performance boost by splitting up large table?Johan De Meersman15 May 2014
      • Re: Performance boost by splitting up large table?Larry Martell15 May 2014
        • Re: Performance boost by splitting up large table?Johan De Meersman15 May 2014
          • Re: Performance boost by splitting up large table?Larry Martell16 May 2014