List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:April 17 2014 8:58am
Subject:Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?
View as plain text

Am 17.04.2014 10:55, schrieb Ajay Garg:
> I do understand the meaning of Unix "sync" function.
>
> So, you mean to say that "flushing" and "syncing" are same, in the context of MySQL?

please get rid of top-posting and reply-all

a flush without a sync is "dear operating system, may i ask you to write
that to disk if you find the time to do so" while a sync is "write that
to disk" without a nice asking

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped
> <mailto:h.reindl@stripped>> wrote:
>

>     Am 17.04.2014 10:37, schrieb Ajay Garg:
>     > I am a newbie to MySQL, and have been going through several online
>     > resources.
>     >
>     > I usually come across the terms - "flushing" and "syncing" the log-buffer.
>     > In particular, these two terms hold great significance while selecting the
>     > value of
>
> "innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit>
>     > ".
>     >
>     > So, I will be grateful if I could gain some light on the differences
>     > between the two terms
>

>     SYNC(1)                                                User Commands
>      SYNC(1)
>
>     NAME
>            sync - flush file system buffers
>
>     SYNOPSIS
>            sync [OPTION]
>
>     DESCRIPTION
>            Force changed blocks to disk, update the super block

Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Ajay Garg17 Apr 2014
  • Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Reindl Harald17 Apr 2014
    • Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Ajay Garg17 Apr 2014
      • Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Reindl Harald17 Apr 2014
        • Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Ajay Garg17 Apr 2014
          • Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Manuel Arostegui17 Apr 2014
            • Re: Difference between log-buffer "flushing" and "log-buffer" syncing?Ajay Garg17 Apr 2014