List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:shawn l.green Date:April 7 2014 2:36pm
Subject:Re: Excluding MySQL database tables from mysqldump
View as plain text
Hello Tim,

On 4/4/2014 10:27 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Tim Johnson <tim@stripped> [140404 17:46]:
>> Currently I'm running mysql on a Mac OSX partition.
>>
>> I have installed an ubuntu dual-booted partition and put mysql on
>> it. I have already set up a mysql user on the ubuntu OS.
>>
>> In the past I have used mysqldump with just the --all-databases
>> option to transfer data across different linux partitions.
>>
>> I'm wondering if I should explicitly exclude some of the tables from
>> the mysql database. If so, which? perhaps mysql.user?
>>
>> thoughts? Opinions?
>> thanks
>    I should add the following:
>
>    1)the only user added to the new partition is the same as the
>    primary non-root user on the Mac partition. Same credentials
>
>    2)this is a workstation - it is closed to the outside world.
>
>    FYI: ...

There are several ways to select which data you want in the backup. You
can backup per-table, per-database, object type per database (routines,
triggers), or global objects (events). What level of detail you want to
copy from your old instance into your new instance is completely up to you.

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN