List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Lerer Date:March 21 2014 5:42pm
Subject:Locking a Database (not tables) x
View as plain text
Frequently, we import a production dump that contains only 1 or 2 databases into one of our QA instances that contains many more databases. (i.e. "database" being a "schema" or a "catalogue).
At the beginning of the import script, we first drop all objects in the QA database so that it will be a perfect match (object wise) to production.

Is there an easy way to lock the whole database for the duration of the import - so that no developers can update the database?
Obviously, I can revoke permissions, but I was wondering whether there is a better approach.

Thanks, David.

David Lerer | Director, Database Administration | Interactive | 605 Third Avenue, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10158
Direct: (646) 487-6522 | Fax: (646) 487-1569 | dlerer@stripped | www.univision.net

The information contained in this e-mail and any attached

documents may be privileged, confidential and protected from

disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient you may not

read, copy, distribute or use this information. If you have

received this communication in error, please notify the sender

immediately by replying to this message and then delete it

from your system.
Thread
Locking a Database (not tables) xDavid Lerer21 Mar 2014
  • Re: Locking a Database (not tables) xshawn l.green21 Mar 2014
    • RE: Locking a Database (not tables) xDavid Lerer24 Mar 2014
      • Re: Locking a Database (not tables) xPeter Brawley24 Mar 2014
  • Re: Locking a Database (not tables) xManuel Arostegui22 Mar 2014
  • Re: Locking a Database (not tables) xKarr Abgarian22 Mar 2014
RE: Locking a Database (not tables) xDavid Lerer21 Mar 2014