List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carsten Pedersen Date:March 17 2014 4:33pm
Subject:Re: Questions about building a dedicated MySQL server.
View as plain text
On 17-03-2014 16:21, Mister Vlad wrote:
> I am looking at building a dedicated MySQL server... was wondering about the downside
> to using SSD drives?
> My thoughts was going 2 servers, with 4 drives each in raid 5 (3+1) configuration.
> Is this a good idea?   I was originally thinking about going Raid5(3+1) and Raid 1
> (Mirrored) but that might a little overkill?
> Now, for the CPU, is a single 8core sufficient?   what about Ram?   16gb?  32gb?
> This is going to have a lot of writes, fewer updates, and a lot of searching...  the
> databases are about 2GB each, and they are monthly created (basically for storing stats).
> Typically, only the current, and past 2-3 months are accessed, and the others are just
> there for archival purposes.
>
> My reasoning for going SSD over 15k drives was speed.  The lookups would (should) be
> faster,  or so I would think.
> What are your thoughts about this?  is this a good idea?  do you have better idea?
> The only thing on this server would be MySQL, the stats database, and a couple others that
> are used daily, but not nearly as active as the stats db.
> Thanks for any and all help!
> MV.

With this information, with 16GB RAM all your live data will easily fit
in RAM at any given time - read speed will not be dependent on the disks
once the data is loaded.

Write speed might. "lots of writing" - what is that? 1000 10kB
inserts/sec? 100 1MB inserts/sec?

Best,

/ Carsten
Thread
Questions about building a dedicated MySQL server.Mister Vlad17 Mar 2014
  • Re: Questions about building a dedicated MySQL server.Carsten Pedersen17 Mar 2014