List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Morgan Tocker Date:January 22 2014 9:56pm
Subject:Re: Crash after shutdown/restart
View as plain text
Hi Jørn,
> But I must say I'm not very impressed by the speed. I'm running a test on an
> application that do a lot of reads and writes queries and the general
> performance has dropped to 50% of the what I had in 5.5.20.

I would say that this sort of performance drop is not typical.  Some
users have reported a smaller performance loss in single threaded
workloads in 5.6.

It's possible to redeem some of this performance loss by tuning
Performance Schema, with the caveat that you will lose some visibility
into diagnostics:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/performance-schema-startup-configuration.html

It's not clear from your description if the test is run in
parallel-threads, but this is something you may want to research.

May I also suggest commenting out/assuming some defaults for some of
your config settings.  5.6 has much better defaults, and it is always
better to 'maintain less customization' yourself:

> key_buffer_size = 384M
> table_open_cache = 512
> sort_buffer_size = 2M
> read_buffer_size = 2M
> read_rnd_buffer_size = 8M
> myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
> thread_cache_size = 8
> query_cache_size = 32M
> thread_concurrency = 14

I also don't typically recommend these settings, but there will be some
cases when they are warranted:

 > innodb_thread_concurrency       = 14
 > innodb_support_xa               = 0
 > innodb_fast_shutdown            = 0

- Morgan
Thread
Crash after shutdown/restartJørn Dahl-Stamnes14 Jan 2014
  • Re: Crash after shutdown/restartJesper Wisborg Krogh14 Jan 2014
    • Re: Crash after shutdown/restartJørn Dahl-Stamnes22 Jan 2014
      • Re: Crash after shutdown/restartMorgan Tocker22 Jan 2014
        • Re: Crash after shutdown/restartJørn Dahl-Stamnes18 Feb 2014
          • Re: Crash after shutdown/restartMorgan Tocker18 Feb 2014