List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stroh Date:November 25 2013 5:21pm
Subject:Slow inserts after moving to new system
View as plain text
I recently moved to a new web server (running 5.5.32) on one of my production systems. The
new server has more RAM, faster CPU, etc so we see queried results a lot quicker. However,
with basically the default my.cnf config file on each system, we see simple inserts taking
about 10x longer than on the old system.

An example are simple inserts to the following InnoDB table:

CREATE TABLE `test` (
 `ID` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
 `num` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
 `id_two` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
 `start` decimal(17,8) DEFAULT NULL,
 `stop` decimal(17,8) DEFAULT NULL,
 `length` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
 UNIQUE KEY `ID` (`ID`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

One of our production systems creates ~3-8 thousand simple inserts to this table like:

INSERT INTO `test` (`ID`, `num`, `id_two`, `start`, `stop`, `length`)
VALUES
	(1,33602184,11172955,56617.02777778,56617.05347222,2220);

Sending all of these on the old system takes 5-20 seconds, but writes to the new server
can take nearly 10 minutes.

Both systems are running on nearly the default my.cnf files from the mysql installs.
I’ve even altered the newer my.cnf file to match what was on our old server with no
change in the results. I’ve also allocated more RAM to InnoDB with also no change in
insert time.

I’m not sure what to try looking at next. Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,
Michael
Thread
Slow inserts after moving to new systemMichael Stroh25 Nov