List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:November 25 2013 9:29am
Subject:Re: XML to RDB
View as plain text
 _______________
| Nodes         |
|---------------|
| id            | ---
| [more fields] |   |
| parent_id     | >--
|_______________|

And then you join the table with itself as needed. Do note that you'll need a self-join
for every level you query, and that every self-join incrementally slows down the query.

It may be beneficial (actually, I'm pretty sure it will be :-) ) to implement the
recursion in software as necessary, simply follow the branch you want and check wether
there are children at each turn; or pick up the child and go back up until parent_id is
NULL.

Depending on what you want/need, you could also add a depth field, so you don't have to
loop to figure out where you are in the tree, etc.

Storing node x/y/z as an identifier, as you suggest, is also an option with it's own
benefits and downsides; nothing prevents you from taking any or all of those approaches
at the same time.