List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:November 21 2013 3:55pm
Subject:Re: InnoDB error 5
View as plain text
Hello Nick,

On 11/21/2013 10:32 AM, Nick Cameo wrote:
> OOoopppsss! I do mean for recovery/continual backup. I will do it
> manually, but basically get all the data on a USB disk and be able to
> recover/move it (the data) on another machine, the same machine etc..
>
> I hope I did not just open up a can of worms. We just went live and
> this post gave me a rude awakening. What is an effective easy to
> follow protocol for backup and recovery in mysql!
>
> Nick from Toronto

There are two basic types of backups, logical and physical.

Logical backups are performed by a utility that converts your database
objects into their CREATE ... commands and exports your data as INSERT
... commands (or as delimited files). These kinds of backups are quite
portable and compress well. An example of such a tool is mysqldump.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysqldump.html

Physical backups can happen many different ways.  The easiest version to
make/restore is the 'cold copy'.  This is exactly what it sounds like.
Shutdown your mysqld and make a copy of everything. At the absolute
minimum you need the ibdata files, the ib_log files, and all folders
inside your --datadir location.

Warm or hot copies are provided by tools that coordinate with the server
to synchronize the state of the InnoDB data to the moment the non-InnoDB
data has been captured. One example of this is MySQL Enterprise Backup.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-enterprise-backup/3.9/en/index.html

Additional details abound in the manual:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/backup-types.html

Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN
Thread
InnoDB error 5Paul Halliday21 Nov
  • Re: InnoDB error 5Reindl Harald21 Nov
    • Re: InnoDB error 5Manuel Arostegui21 Nov
      • Re: InnoDB error 5Nick Cameo21 Nov
      • Re: InnoDB error 5Paul Halliday21 Nov
        • Re: InnoDB error 5Reindl Harald21 Nov
Re: InnoDB error 5Nick Cameo21 Nov