List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Callaghan Date:September 19 2013 11:45pm
Subject:Re: Archive Engine Question
View as plain text
If you are looking for great compression another option is TokuDB.  It
supports quicklz, zlib, and lzma compression.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM, Manuel Arostegui <manuel@stripped> wrote:

> 2013/9/17 Wayne Leutwyler <wleutwyl@stripped>
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I have a customer who is wanting to use the Archive Engine. I have no
> > experience with this engine, other than what I am been reading. Why
> would I
> > want to use Archive over InnoDB. They are only going to be placing audit
> > information in the table.
>

> Hello,
>
> We use Archive for archive clusters (obviously) and it is a good option to
> save lot of disk space if you assume the performance can be slightly worse.
> As Keith has pointed out, make sure you know which statements you use
> because ARCHIVE doesn't support all the MySQL ones.
>
> If Archive isn't an option but you still want to save some disk, you can
> use InnoDB Compression:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/innodb-plugin/1.0/en/innodb-compression-background.html
>

> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-compression-internals.html#innodb-compression-internals-storage-btree
>
> In all the tests we did we saw some performance degradation but nothing too
> serious and nothing we couldn't afford, but if you decide to try this, make
> sure you do a PoC so you know how it could impact in your scenario.
>
> Hope this helps
> Manuel.

Thread
Archive Engine QuestionWayne Leutwyler17 Sep
  • Re: Archive Engine QuestionKeith Murphy17 Sep
    • Re: Archive Engine QuestionWayne Leutwyler17 Sep
  • Re: Archive Engine QuestionManuel Arostegui18 Sep
    • Re: Archive Engine QuestionTim Callaghan19 Sep