List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Manuel Arostegui Date:September 18 2013 6:30am
Subject:Re: Archive Engine Question
View as plain text
2013/9/17 Wayne Leutwyler <wleutwyl@stripped>

> Hello List,
>
> I have a customer who is wanting to use the Archive Engine. I have no
> experience with this engine, other than what I am been reading. Why would I
> want to use Archive over InnoDB. They are only going to be placing audit
> information in the table.

Hello,

We use Archive for archive clusters (obviously) and it is a good option to
save lot of disk space if you assume the performance can be slightly worse.
As Keith has pointed out, make sure you know which statements you use
because ARCHIVE doesn't support all the MySQL ones.

If Archive isn't an option but you still want to save some disk, you can
use InnoDB Compression:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/innodb-plugin/1.0/en/innodb-compression-background.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-compression-internals.html#innodb-compression-internals-storage-btree

In all the tests we did we saw some performance degradation but nothing too
serious and nothing we couldn't afford, but if you decide to try this, make
sure you do a PoC so you know how it could impact in your scenario.

Hope this helps
Manuel.

Thread
Archive Engine QuestionWayne Leutwyler17 Sep
  • Re: Archive Engine QuestionKeith Murphy17 Sep
    • Re: Archive Engine QuestionWayne Leutwyler17 Sep
  • Re: Archive Engine QuestionManuel Arostegui18 Sep
    • Re: Archive Engine QuestionTim Callaghan19 Sep