List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wayne Leutwyler Date:September 17 2013 3:48pm
Subject:Re: Archive Engine Question
View as plain text
Yea, the more I think about it the more it  makes good sense. Are there any special my.cnf
setting we should be looking at. We currently have our systems tuned for InnoDB as our
primary engine.

Thanks for the feedback Keith.

On Sep 17, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Keith Murphy <bmurphy@stripped> wrote:

> From here:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/archive-storage-engine.html
>
> The ARCHIVE engine supports INSERT and SELECT, but not DELETE, REPLACE, or UPDATE. It
> does support ORDER BY operations, BLOB columns, and basically all but spatial data types
> (see Section 12.16.4.1, “MySQL Spatial Data Types”). The ARCHIVE engine uses
> row-level locking.
>
> Storage: Rows are compressed as they are inserted. The ARCHIVE engine uses zlib
> lossless data compression (see http://www.zlib.net/). You can use OPTIMIZE TABLE to
> analyze the table and pack it into a smaller format (for a reason to use OPTIMIZE TABLE,
> see later in this section). Beginning with MySQL 5.0.15, the engine also supports CHECK
> TABLE. There are several types of insertions that are used:
>

> You tell my why a customer who wants to place AUDIT information in a table might want
> that?
>
> Keith Murphy
> http://www.paragon-cs.com
>
> --
>
> (c) 850-637-3877
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Wayne Leutwyler <wleutwyl@stripped>
> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have a customer who is wanting to use the Archive Engine. I have no experience with
> this engine, other than what I am been reading. Why would I want to use Archive over
> InnoDB. They are only going to be placing audit information in the table.
>
> Walter "Wayne" Leutwyler, RHCT
> Sr. MySQL Database Administrator
> Mobile: 614 519 5672
> Office: 614 889 4956
> E-mail: wayne.leutwyler@stripped
> E-mail: wleutwyl@stripped
> Website: http://penguin-workshop.dyndns.org
>
> "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Walter "Wayne" Leutwyler, RHCT
Sr. MySQL Database Administrator
Mobile: 614 519 5672
Office: 614 889 4956
E-mail: wayne.leutwyler@stripped
E-mail: wleutwyl@stripped
Website: http://penguin-workshop.dyndns.org

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Thread
Archive Engine QuestionWayne Leutwyler17 Sep
  • Re: Archive Engine QuestionKeith Murphy17 Sep
    • Re: Archive Engine QuestionWayne Leutwyler17 Sep
  • Re: Archive Engine QuestionManuel Arostegui18 Sep
    • Re: Archive Engine QuestionTim Callaghan19 Sep