List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:shawn green Date:September 3 2013 1:13pm
Subject:Re: Can't Connect Localhost
View as plain text
Hello John,

On 9/2/2013 12:49 AM, John Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 1/9/13, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped> wrote:
>
>   Subject: Re: Can't Connect Localhost
>   To: mysql@stripped
>   Date: Sunday, 1 September, 2013, 2:44 PM
>
>>> I looked in mysql.config.pl and no "localhost" :(
>
>> "mysql.config.pl" from what software damned?
>> "mysql.config.pl" does not exist in context of mysql
>
> It exists in the following folder on my Win8 box:
>
> /Program Files (x86)/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.5/bin
>
> Yes, apparently it does exist in context of mysql. At any rate, it didn't work. Is
> there another config file in there?
>
>> *what client software you are using to connect to a
>> mysql-server*
>
> I had written a python script. However, even if I try your and the other fellow's
> suggestion and open up a command prompt with admin privileges and type
> mysql -u root -h 127.0.0.1 -p
> <pass>
> it just opens up a mysql session, and that only if I do it from the folder where that
> script lives since it's not in the path. Otherwise, it complains it can't find the
> script.
> TIA,
> John

I am also confused by your apparent dependency on this script
(mysql_config.pl) to create a client connection.  This is not the
location that stores or processes or influences your startup parameters.
  Neither can it be used for creating client-server connections.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-config.html

The location of your configuration details is a 'my.ini' file or files
located in one of these locations

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/option-files.html

What happens when you temporarily rename mysql_config.pl to something
else? What error messages do you get?

Also.  You have established that using the command line client
(mysql.exe) works just fine for you.  What is the other tool are you
attempting to use as a MySQL client that has been giving you problems?
There are at least two connection libraries you can launch from Python
that allow you to connect to MySQL.  Which one is yours?

Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN
Thread
Can't Connect LocalhostJohn Smith31 Aug
  • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostReindl Harald31 Aug
  • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostTerry J Fundak1 Sep
    • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostJohn Smith1 Sep
      • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostReindl Harald1 Sep
        • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostJohn Smith1 Sep
          • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostReindl Harald1 Sep
            • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostJohn Smith2 Sep
              • Re: Can't Connect Localhostshawn green3 Sep
              • Re: Can't Connect Localhosthsv3 Sep
      • Re: Can't Connect LocalhostHoward Hart1 Sep