List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed L. Date:August 28 2013 8:08pm
Subject:Re: replication newbie questions
View as plain text
On 8/28/13 2:00 PM, Ananda Kumar wrote:

> Why don't u try snapshot backups, where the lock held for less
> duration. Or can't u take mysql dumps during Night time when there is
> less bd activity

I neglected to mention these systems are both CentOS linux systems.

Unfortunately, the 5.5 hour dumps are already done during the least busy
times.

Regarding snapshots, how long are snapshot locks held?  These are ext4
filesystems.  Assuming the lock is not held for long, what's the
recommended way to do snapshots on ext4?

Thanks,
Ed

> On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Ed L. <mysql.com@stripped
> <mailto:mysql.com@stripped>> wrote:
> >
> > Mysql newbie here, looking for some help configuring 5.0.45
> master-slave replication.  Here's my scenario...
> >
> > We have a heavily loaded 30gb 5.0.45 DB we need to replicate via
> master-slave configuration to a new, beefier server running same mysql
> 5.0.45, and then cutover to the new server.  Due to extreme SAN
> congestion and a grossly overloaded master server, our DB dumps take
> 5.5 hours.  But we cannot afford that much downtime or locking during
> the replication transition; we can manage 10-15 minutes, but more is
> very problematic.
> >
> > I understand that "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK" will lock the tables
> for the duration of the 5.5 hour dump.  Is this true?
> >
> > If so, we'd like to dump/initialize/sync slave WITHOUT any locking
> anything the master for more than a few seconds if at all possible.
>  Will this give us the dump we need?
> >
> >     mysqldump --single-transaction --master-data --all-databases
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any help.
> >
> > Ed

Thread
replication newbie questionsEd L.28 Aug
  • Re: replication newbie questionsAnanda Kumar28 Aug
    • Re: replication newbie questionsEd L.28 Aug
      • Re: replication newbie questionsAnanda Kumar28 Aug
  • re: replication newbie questionsMichael Widenius29 Aug