List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ananda Kumar Date:August 28 2013 8:00pm
Subject:Re: replication newbie questions
View as plain text
Why don't u try snapshot backups, where the lock held for less duration. Or
can't u take mysql dumps during Night time when there is less bd activity

On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Ed L. <mysql.com@stripped> wrote:

> Mysql newbie here, looking for some help configuring 5.0.45 master-slave
replication.  Here's my scenario...

> We have a heavily loaded 30gb 5.0.45 DB we need to replicate via
master-slave configuration to a new, beefier server running same mysql
5.0.45, and then cutover to the new server.  Due to extreme SAN congestion
and a grossly overloaded master server, our DB dumps take 5.5 hours.  But
we cannot afford that much downtime or locking during the replication
transition; we can manage 10-15 minutes, but more is very problematic.

> I understand that "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK" will lock the tables for
the duration of the 5.5 hour dump.  Is this true?

> If so, we'd like to dump/initialize/sync slave WITHOUT any locking
anything the master for more than a few seconds if at all possible.  Will
this give us the dump we need?

>     mysqldump --single-transaction --master-data --all-databases
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Ed

Thread
replication newbie questionsEd L.28 Aug
  • Re: replication newbie questionsAnanda Kumar28 Aug
    • Re: replication newbie questionsEd L.28 Aug
      • Re: replication newbie questionsAnanda Kumar28 Aug
  • re: replication newbie questionsMichael Widenius29 Aug