List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:shawn green Date:August 21 2013 1:43pm
Subject:Re: MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x features
View as plain text
Hello Naga,

On 8/21/2013 6:45 AM, Nagaraj S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone share the features/comparison from MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x in
> single document? I can get from Google, however I have to navigate
> different pages/sites, if it is in single document that will be useful to
> see the overview of mysql features

While not exactly just one single page for all changes, there is a
single page of the fine manual within each new major version that
describes the big features that are new or changed within that version.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-nutshell.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-nutshell.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/mysql-nutshell.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-nutshell.html

Unfortunately, to learn what we changed between 3.23 -> 4.0 or between
4.0 -> 4.1, you are going to need to review the change logs
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/news.html

from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/index.html
====
This manual describes features that are not included in every edition of
MySQL 3.23, MySQL 4.0, and MySQL 4.1; such features may not be included
in the edition of MySQL 3.23, MySQL 4.0, or MySQL 4.1; licensed to you.
====

I can pretty much summarize the deficiencies in 3.23 like this
* No InnoDB, Archive, CSV, Federated, or Blackhole storage engines
* No table partitioning
* No Views
* No Stored Procedures or Stored Functions
* No Triggers
* No Events
* Severe scalability limits (won't run as fast with reasonably
concurrent loads even on great hardware as later versions)
* Completely out of print (unpublished) and unsupported.
* Missing literally thousands of bug fixes and performance improvements

Any new project should be starting out with 5.6.  Any production server
should be on 5.5 or 5.6 by now or migrating soon. It is also a fairly
safe bet that if you are still operating a 3.23 instance of MySQL that
it is also time to upgrade your hardware.

Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN
Thread
MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x featuresNagaraj S21 Aug
  • Re: MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x featuresshawn green21 Aug
    • Re: MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x featuresJesper Wisborg Krogh21 Aug
    • Re: MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x featuresNagaraj S22 Aug
      • RE: MySQL version 3.23 to 5.x featuresRick James5 Sep