List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 4 2000 4:06pm
Subject:Re: Table locking
View as plain text

Benjamin> Hi.
Benjamin> On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 05:48:35PM -0800, sroussey@stripped wrote:
>> We split our most used tables into 10 pieces so not all our users
>> get delayed when there is one insert going on. As I understand it,
>> MySQL 3.23.8 has page locking that depreciates the value of this
>> hack.

Benjamin> No, not page locking. There was only discussion about page locking in
Benjamin> a later version, IIRC. What it allows are SELECTs while an INSERT is
Benjamin> running (and only if there are no holes from DELETEs left in the
Benjamin> table).

Benjamin> Btw, IIRC, this feature is available since 3.23.7.

>> Is it required to change to MyISM from ISM indexes for this to work?

Benjamin> Hm. I don't remember to have this heard anywhere in the discussion of
Benjamin> the feature, so I would guess, the answer is No. But I would not bet
Benjamin> on this. I assume Monty corrects me, if I am wrong about this.

You have to use MyISAM to get this feature;  I didn't want to touch
the 'quite stable' ISAM code with the large changes that was required
to get this to work.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Insert delayed causing table corruption?struanb29 Nov
  • Re: Insert delayed causing table corruption?sinisa29 Nov
  • Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius28 Dec
    • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Steven Roussey29 Dec
      • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius29 Dec
        • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Steven Roussey29 Dec
          • Re: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Sasha Pachev29 Dec
          • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius30 Dec
        • Table lockingSteven Roussey4 Jan
          • Re: Table lockingBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jan
            • Re: Table lockingMichael Widenius4 Jan
              • Optimize TableSteven Roussey5 Jan
                • Optimize TableMichael Widenius5 Jan
            • RE: Table lockingSteven Roussey4 Jan
RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Andy29 Dec
  • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius30 Dec
RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Andy30 Dec
  • RE: Insert delayed causing table corruption?Michael Widenius30 Dec
    • The table 'SQL24d1ab_0' is fullDavid Moreno S.30 Dec
      • Re: The table 'SQL24d1ab_0' is fulljpabuyer30 Dec