I thought someone, even Monty, would have chimed in here, but...

On Fri, 2013-08-09 at 16:28 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
Question, is building the source exactly the same as mysql?
yes

Meaning, if I build it with set CMAKE options building mysql,  can I
use those exact same options building mariab?

yes, but don't forget to do the usual mysql_upgrade

love the ignore dir option too, finally no more stupid  lost+found databases :)

PS, I wish you guys would use a real list server and not that launchpad trash :)

They have a proper announce list, though I've not seen, nor really looked hard for, any users list, they use mailman so likely do somewhere.