List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:July 30 2013 8:39pm
Subject:RE: hypothetical question about data storage
View as plain text
Rick James <rjames@stripped> wrote:

>When writing a random block, RAID-5 does not need to touch all the
>drives, only the one with parity.  Suitable XORs will update it
>correctly.  So, a write hits 2 drives, whether you have RAID-5 or -10.

Only if the other blocks happen to be in the cache, otherwise a read is required. We
performed the tests when we last added storage to our media farm.

On the other hand I'm not too familiar wit the actual algorithms used, so our findings
might be vendor-dependant.

hypothetical question about data storageChris Knipe25 Jul
  • Re: hypothetical question about data storageVahric Muhtaryan25 Jul
  • Re: hypothetical question about data storageJohan De Meersman26 Jul
    • Re: hypothetical question about data storageChris Knipe26 Jul
      • RE: hypothetical question about data storageRick James26 Jul
        • RE: hypothetical question about data storageJohan De Meersman26 Jul
          • Re: hypothetical question about data storageChris Knipe26 Jul
            • Re: hypothetical question about data storagehsv27 Jul
            • Re: hypothetical question about data storagewilliam drescher27 Jul
              • RE: hypothetical question about data storageRick James29 Jul
                • RE: hypothetical question about data storageJohan De Meersman29 Jul
                  • RE: hypothetical question about data storageRick James29 Jul
                    • Re: hypothetical question about data storageCarsten Pedersen30 Jul
                    • Re: hypothetical question about data storageManuel Arostegui30 Jul
                    • RE: hypothetical question about data storageJohan De Meersman30 Jul