List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 4 2000 3:52pm
Subject:Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!
View as plain text
>>>>> "fooler" == fooler  <fooler@stripped> writes:

fooler> ALRIGHT!!!!!!! :->
fooler> Paul wrote:

I agree, this is a good thing.  This means that we should have soon a
PERL DBD driver for Interbase so that we can run crash-me and the
MySQL benchmarks on it!

The most interesting thing is of course what kind of license they are
going to use. I don't know if they have a client/server model or
link-library model.  In the former case they will have the same
problem as we have with the GPL license;  Making it GPL is the same
thing as making it totally free and no one has ever to pay any license
fees for it.  In this case it will be very hard for Borland to pay for
any further development of Interbas...

Anyway, we are later this week going to set up a project at CoSource
to make a .lib version of mysqld (this will be released under the GPL
license).  The main idea is that this should have exactly the same
interface as the current libmysql client so that one can decide at the
linking stage if one want to link with the standalone mysqld version
or with the libmysqlclient.  The .lib version should of course be
thread aware so that one can run many threads against the same data.

(To fix the above, one must of add a new mysql_init function to
initialize the library with the path one wants to use and another init
function that you should call on thread creation, but this should be
rather trivial to do)

If anyone would be interested in doing this, you can always mail us
about it!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
script for periodic checking that server is upJerry Preeper3 Jan
  • Re: script for periodic checking that server is upVivek Khera3 Jan
    • Re: script for periodic checking that server is upVivek Khera3 Jan
      • Re: script for periodic checking that server is uphypnos4 Jan
        • INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Paul4 Jan
          • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!fooler4 Jan
            • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Michael Widenius4 Jan
              • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Tim Bunce4 Jan
  • Re: script for periodic checking that server is upDan Nelson4 Jan
  • Re: script for periodic checking that server is uphypnos4 Jan
    • Re: script for periodic checking that server is upMark Zieg4 Jan
RE: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Sid Young4 Jan
Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Allen Bolderoff4 Jan
  • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!fooler4 Jan
    • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Michael Widenius4 Jan
  • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!Van4 Jan
  • Re: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!fooler4 Jan
RE: INTERBASE goes OpenSource!!!!!!!! YES!John Foley5 Jan