List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:shawn green Date:July 22 2013 3:01pm
Subject:Re: uncertain future of Oracle MySQL exams [1Z0-871, 1Z0-872, 1Z0-873,
1Z0-874]
View as plain text
Hello Lukas,

On 7/22/2013 8:16 AM, Lukas Lehner wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am now responsible for LAMP applications. I worked previously with Oracle
> 11g.
> It seems that those exams are an "easy win" for me. I guess my preparation
> effort is about 60 hours.
>
> 1Z0-871 MySQL 5 Developer Certified Professional Exam, Part I
> 1Z0-872 MySQL 5 Developer Certified Professional Exam, Part II
> 1Z0-873 MySQL 5 Database Administrator Certified Professional Exam, Part I
> 1Z0-874 MySQL 5 Database Administrator Certified Professional Exam, Part II
>
> My concern is about the future of MySQL and the MySQL certifications.
>
> - it seems the exams didn't change since 2005
> - Linux distributions ship MariaDB (not MySQL)
> - Oracle Press don't publish an official study guide
> - MySQL OCP exams are simpler than other OCP exams (for example Oracle 11g)
>
> what do you think?

You are correct. However, after being acquired twice in rapid succession
and after much internal MySQL reorganization due to each, a few
resources are back in place to keep up with this stuff again.

For some pretty solid legal reasons Oracle tries to avoid announcing
much of anything before it is actually ready to be used. Stay tuned to
the publicity channels for any official announcements if or when they
are made.

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN