List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Denis Jedig Date:June 21 2013 11:58am
Subject:Re: Session ID Generation
View as plain text
Steven,

Am 21.06.2013 13:35, schrieb Steven Siebert:

> If the TCP connection is lost...is the effectively session over and
> can not be re-established on another socket?

Yes.

> In a mysql client sense, I
> would need to re-establish a connection and set my session variables again
> rather than just reconnect using the session ID from the "dropped"
> connection?

Yes. There is no way for a client to specify a "desired" session
ID. The session ID is only used once - the server notifies the
client of the ID used in the initial handshake upon connection
establishment, even before authentication is attempted. Take a
look at the docs for protocol details:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/connection-phase.html#plain-handshake>

> I apologize about these basic mysql-mechanics questions - I need to satisfy
> our auditors, so I need to understand =)

The auditors should know their trade and not simply try pressing
requirements they've read about in an IT manager magazine.

Denis
Thread
Session ID GenerationSteven Siebert20 Jun
  • Re: Session ID GenerationJohan De Meersman21 Jun
    • Re: Session ID GenerationSteven Siebert21 Jun
      • Re: Session ID GenerationJohan De Meersman21 Jun
      • Re: Session ID GenerationHartmut Holzgraefe21 Jun
        • Re: Session ID GenerationSteven Siebert21 Jun
          • Re: Session ID GenerationHartmut Holzgraefe21 Jun
          • Re: Session ID GenerationDenis Jedig21 Jun
            • Re: Session ID GenerationSteven Siebert21 Jun
              • Re: Session ID Generationshawn green22 Jun
      • Re: Session ID GenerationDenis Jedig21 Jun