List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hartmut Holzgraefe Date:June 13 2013 10:07am
Subject:Re: open files in mysqld 5.1.53
View as plain text
On 06/13/2013 09:41 AM, walter harms wrote:

> Hello Manuel,
> thx for your tip. We caught the problem when we moved to partitions. Strange is that
> while testing the problem did not show up and even now we no clue why we experience
> the sudden burst of use for file descriptors.

problem with partitions is that all partition files get opened when a
partitioned table is used, even when only actually touching a single
partition

this combined with file-per-table engines like MyISAM or ARCHIVE (maybe
with InnoDB with innodb-file-per-table being active, too?) may well lead
to a lot of file handles being used, and this again combined with the
table_cache keeping opened tables (and the related files) open for later
reuse can lead to a lot of file handles being used and kept in use ...
FLUSH TABLES may help here by at least releasing those handles that are
just kept open by the table cache ...

see also bug reports like e.g.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=64498

--