List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rafał Radecki Date:May 22 2013 6:55am
Subject:Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really that
important nowadays?
View as plain text
Hi All.

I use mysql/perconna/maria on my production CentOS 6 Linux servers. I
currently try to choose the default filesystem for partitions with mysql
data. Some time ago (previous dba) reiserfs was the choice but now it is
not in the kernel and the main author is in prison.

From what I've read xfs and ext4 are valid choices and performance
benchmarks over the web show that they are "comparable" (no clear winner).
I've also read that with every new kernel there can be changes in
performance in every filesystem ( for example
http://gtowey.blogspot.com/2013/02/serious-xfs-performance-regression-in.html
 ).

From your experiences: which filesystem to choose for a mysql db? Is ext4
or xfs better? Or is it more a case of proper filesystem tuning to my
workload? Any articles worth reading which you can recommend?

Best regards,
Rafal.

Thread
Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Rafał Radecki22 May
  • Re: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Manuel Arostegui22 May
    • RE: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Rick James22 May
      • Re: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Johan De Meersman23 May
  • Re: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Tim Callaghan22 May
    • Re: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Manuel Arostegui23 May
      • Re: Mysql server - which filesystem to choose? Is it really thatimportant nowadays?Tim Callaghan23 May