List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:May 17 2013 10:29am
Subject:Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policy
View as plain text

Am 17.05.2013 12:05, schrieb Sebastien FLAESCH:
> Beside the Oracle skills debate and the stupid mistakes with soname
> changes between 5.5.8 and 5.5.10 or 5.6.x, (imagine all of this did
> not happen):
>
> I have a VERY simple question that needs a VERY CLEAR answer:
>
> In our distribution packages (for different platforms! not only Linux),
> I need to provide mysql client binaries for different versions of mysql
> client environments:
>
> 4.1.x
> 5.1.x
> 5.4.x
> 5.5.x
> 5.6.x
>
> How many binaries do I have to provide to support all these versions?
>
> We compile with headers of a given version and link dynamically with
> -lmysqlclient of course

4.1 and 5.6 should be enough if the topic is only
to connect to servers from 4.1 to 5.6, a 5.6 client
will happily connct to a >= 5.1 server

4.1 has a older protocol version and is AFAIk not supported
by recent client libraries, at least recent PHP versions can
not connect to servers older than 5.x

MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH18 Feb
  • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policyReindl Harald18 Feb
  • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policyNoel Butler18 Feb
    • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH18 Feb
      • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH20 Feb
        • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH17 May
          • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policyReindl Harald17 May