List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sebastien FLAESCH Date:May 17 2013 9:10am
Subject:Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policy
View as plain text
Hi all,

Could someone from the libmysqlclient contributors comment on this, and
could someone complete the documentation regarding client compatiblity?

Thanks!
Seb

On 02/20/2013 09:31 AM, Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> FYI, I found this statement in the doc, at the end of the C API main page:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/c.html
>
> If, after an upgrade, you experience problems with compiled client
> programs, such as Commands out of sync or unexpected core dumps, you
> probably have used old header or library files when compiling your
> programs. In this case, check the date for your mysql.h file and
> libmysqlclient.a library to verify that they are from the new MySQL
> distribution. If not, recompile your programs with the new headers and
> libraries. Recompilation might also be necessary for programs compiled
> against the shared client library if the library major version number
> has changed (for example from libmysqlclient.so.15 to libmysqlclient.so.16.

> This sounds like guessing/hoping that the a client program compiled/linked
> with older headers/libmysqlclient can eventually work with a more recent
> client lib.
>
> There should be a clear rule for that.
>
> A simple rule could be that it's mandatory to recompile when upgrading to
> a new production release (5.5 to 5.6), even if the client libs are still
> compatible.
>
> Further, I would expect to see such note in "Building Client Programs":
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/building-clients.html
>
> Seb

Thread
MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH18 Feb
  • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policyReindl Harald18 Feb
  • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policyNoel Butler18 Feb
    • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH18 Feb
      • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH20 Feb
        • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policySebastien FLAESCH17 May
          • Re: MySQL Client (libmysqlclient) compatibility policyReindl Harald17 May