List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rajeev Prasad Date:April 6 2013 8:56pm
Subject:update a row only if any column has changed, in a very large table
View as plain text
hello,

>I have a table with around 2,000,000 records (15 columns). I have to sync this from
an outside source once everyday. not all records are changed/removed /new-added everyday.
so what is the best way to update only those which have changed/added/or deleted?

>i can use update_or_create but that will update (re-write the row) even if nothing
has changed in the row/record. wont that be an overhead? how can i escape that? what
would be the fastest and least resources consuming way to do this table update?

>I also have another table with 500,000 rows and i wish to implement the same solution
to that too.

>I earlier posted this on DBIx list, as i thought i could use DBIx tools to manage
this. but based on response, it seems that MySQL tools would be more helpful in doing it
in most efficent way. Plz. advice how can i address this.

>I also considered to delete and simply recreate the table each day..... but
chnages/add and delete are not too many (may be a few hundreds.. max)

>ty.
Thread
update a row only if any column has changed, in a very large tableRajeev Prasad6 Apr
  • RE: update a row only if any column has changed, in a very large tableJason Trebilcock7 Apr
  • Re: update a row only if any column has changed, in a verylarge tablehsv7 Apr
    • Re: update a row only if any column has changed, in a very large tableRajeev Prasad7 Apr
      • Re: update a row only if any column has changed, in a very large tableAndrĂ©s Tello8 Apr