List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Manuel Arostegui Date:March 28 2013 12:16pm
Subject:Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to do it?
View as plain text
Hello Antonio,

As Reindl said, it is recommended but it shouldnt be done just
everyday if your tables are quite big and you use query cache.

If you do have lot of writes and deletes (depending on what you
consider a lot), your table will indeed have lot of 'blank rows' which
eat disk space.

Optimizing tables if good for both: saving disk space and reading
faster from them.
However, remember that optimize locks your table so it can affect your
writes and create a big overhead in your server (IO).

If I were your I would benchmark how fast my operations are after
a...lets say monthly optimize and then decide.
I am assuming you are not optimizing because of disk space issues.

Manuel

--
Manuel Aróstegui
Systems Team
      • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to doit?Reindl Harald28 Mar
        • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to do it?Antonio Fernández Pérez28 Mar
          • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to do it?Manuel Arostegui28 Mar
            • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to do it?Antonio Fernández Pérez28 Mar
        • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to do it?Bheemsen Aitha28 Mar
          • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to doit?Reindl Harald28 Mar
          • RE: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to do it?Rick James28 Mar
            • Re: Defragmentation of MySQL tables, how many times have I to doit?Reindl Harald28 Mar