List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick James Date:March 13 2013 5:00pm
Subject:RE: Blob implementation question
View as plain text
A lot of details are missing...
    Engine:  MyISAM?  InnoDB?  other?
    Let's see the SELECT.
    If InnoDB, let's see the transaction, if it is part of such.
    If InnoDB, which (COMPACT, etc) are you using.
    You are asking about a single row with the 500MB, correct?

In general, each request will ask for the same row, and will be blocked at some level.
The data will be fetched from disk and cached (radically differently, depending on the
Engine).  Each request will be satisfied -- perhaps sequentially, perhaps simultaneously.

The "resultset" will need to be built at some point.  This will probably take up 500MB+ of
extra RAM.  This might lead to swapping or running out of RAM.

If the SELECT needs to build a temp table, it will be MyISAM, and it will be on disk.  But
not all SELECTs need to build a temp table.  This, for example, won't:
    SELECT myblob FROM mytable WHERE id=123;
This probably will (if foo is not indexed):
    SELECT myblob FROM mytable ORDER BY foo;

Thread
Blob implementation questionAdam Ilardi13 Mar
  • RE: Blob implementation questionRick James13 Mar
    • Re: Blob implementation questionAdam Ilardi13 Mar