List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 14 1999 1:37pm
Subject:NFS and MYSQL
View as plain text
>>>>> "Scott" == Scott Mackie <swampy@stripped> writes:

>> From the mail archives, it seems that a Mysql database mounted on a NFS
Scott> with one write daemon and multiple read daemons, is deemed stable. We
Scott> wish to use this concept with the database residing on a NetApp with
Scott> multiple read only machines accessing it and only one doing inserts and
Scott> updates. It seems Linux is suspect, but Solaris and IRIX are fine for
Scott> this type of set up. What I want to know if anyone has tried this with
Scott> BSDI 3 or 4?

I don't know about BSDI, so please mail me any results !

Scott> We have had great success with BSDI and Mysql, with tables over a
Scott> million lines and 10 indexes never corrupting. However, my knowledge of
Scott> NFS is not excessive. I believe there are two parameters 'locked' and
Scott> 'statd' that need to be considered for the above plan.

Scott> Also, should the daemons on the read-only boxes be set to read only
Scott> through Mysql's permission tables or is there a option in the config
Scott> file for this? Also what exactly does the option --skip-locking flag do?

If you do --skip-locking, MySQL will not lock any tables with fnctl()
but only use the internal locking.  Without --skip-locking, MySQL will
do a fcntl() (global lock/unlock) whenever a MySQL table changes lock state.

Scott> Any help is greatly welcomed.

Scott> PS. I've subscribed to the newgroup but haven't started receiving
Scott> messages so a CC email to my email account along with the new's groups
Scott> would be appreciated.

Regards,
Monty
Thread