List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Wallace Date:February 5 2013 5:10pm
Subject:Re: SELECT subquery problem
View as plain text

select last_name, first_name, phone, if(pub_email='Y',email,'')

FROM `mydatabasetable`

WHERE `current_member` = "Y" AND `pub_name` =
"Y" ORDER BY last_name ASC

 The "IF" statement returns it's second
argument if the first evaluates to true, the third argument
otherwise.

andy

On 02-05-2013 6:49am, cl wrote:

> De-lurking
here.

> I am trying to figure out how to return results from a query.
What I need to do is to return 4 columns from a database. This is
easy:

> SELECT last_name, first_name, phone, email FROM
`mydatabasetable` WHERE `current_member` = "Y" AND `pub_name` = "Y"
ORDER BY last_name ASC

> This works fine, as expected.
>
> But, I
want to only display the value in `email` if the value in another field,
`pub_email` = "Y" So, the resultant output would look like this, for
instance, if the value of `pub_email` ="N" for Mr. Wills:

John 555-555-5555 johnjones@stripped
jimSmith@stripped
555-999-9999 felicityzorro@stripped

> Can't quite figure out how to