List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:February 5 2013 2:20pm
Subject:Re: file level encryption on mysql
View as plain text
you have to encrypt them in the application and
make the key stored as safe as possible, however
for a full intrution there is no way to protect
data which can not be only hashed

somewhere you need the information how to encrypt them

Am 05.02.2013 15:18, schrieb Mike Franon:
> I tried all these methods and you are right this is not going to work for us.
>
> I am not a developer, does anyone have any good links or reference to
> the best way I can share with my developers on best way to encrypt and
> decrypt personal user info.
>
> We do not store credit cards, but want to store 3 tables that have
> email address, ip address, and personal info.
>
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped> wrote:
>>

>> Am 03.02.2013 18:52, schrieb Mike Franon:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering what type of encryption for linux would you recommend
>>> to encrypt the database files on the OS level? I had a hard time
>>> starting the database after I moved it to a partiton with encryptFS
>>>
>>> I only need 3 tables encrypted and know it is better to do it from the
>>> application, but unfortunately that cannot happen for a while.
>>>
>>> Has anyone done OS file level encryption, and if so which one did they use?
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt_with_LUKS
>>
>> but this all is useless in case of intrusion because the FS
>> is unlocked and you have no gain - FS encryption only matters
>> if your notebook or disks get stolen which is unlikely on a server

file level encryption on mysqlMike Franon3 Feb
  • Re: file level encryption on mysqlReindl Harald3 Feb
    • Re: file level encryption on mysqlMike Franon5 Feb
      • Re: file level encryption on mysqlReindl Harald5 Feb
        • Re: file level encryption on mysqlMike Franon5 Feb
          • RE: file level encryption on mysqlRick James5 Feb
            • Re: file level encryption on mysqlspameden12 Mar