List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 23 1999 4:49pm
Subject:Re: Secure Connections
View as plain text
Sasha Pachev wrote:

> To use it, you would send up two instances of tcpgate,
> one on the MYSQL client host and one on the server host.
> The client tcpgate will listen on port 3306 and will
> forward traffic to the server tcpgate listening on some
> funny port, which in turn will forward it to mysql
> server on the same machine. Your applications on the
> client will need to connect to localhost instead of the
> server. As I mentioned earlier, currently there is no
> ecryption, but it could be added in a couple of hours if
> you already have stream ecryption libraries.

Thanks for the offer, we will consider it as well as the
ssh option.

> Of course, be prepared for performance degragation,
> since you will have double forwarding overhead plus the
> overhead of enryption/decryption.

123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
Yes, but the COPs department are a litle paranoid and insist
on encryption so using ssh as an encrypting proxy may be the
only way to go...

"Security over performance" seems to be their motto!
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread