List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 23 1999 4:49pm
Subject:Re: Secure Connections
View as plain text
Sasha Pachev wrote:
> To use it, you would send up two instances of tcpgate,
> one on the MYSQL client host and one on the server host.
> The client tcpgate will listen on port 3306 and will
> forward traffic to the server tcpgate listening on some
> funny port, which in turn will forward it to mysql
> server on the same machine. Your applications on the
> client will need to connect to localhost instead of the
> server. As I mentioned earlier, currently there is no
> ecryption, but it could be added in a couple of hours if
> you already have stream ecryption libraries.

Thanks for the offer, we will consider it as well as the
ssh option.

> Of course, be prepared for performance degragation,
> since you will have double forwarding overhead plus the
> overhead of enryption/decryption.

Yes, but the COPs department are a litle paranoid and insist
on encryption so using ssh as an encrypting proxy may be the
only way to go...

"Security over performance" seems to be their motto!

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Secure ConnectionsFred Read23 Apr
  • Re: Secure ConnectionsJules Bean23 Apr
  • Re: Secure ConnectionsFred Read23 Apr
  • Re: Secure ConnectionsFred Read23 Apr
  • Re: Secure ConnectionsSasha Pachev23 Apr
  • Re: Secure ConnectionsSasha Pachev23 Apr