List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:January 10 2013 12:57am
Subject:Re: Help restoring database: MacOS Server (Snow Leopard)
View as plain text
Okay, panic over. I recursively stripped the ACLs and things are working.

Next time I drop a table from phpMyAdmin, I'll carefully read the little thing that pops
up saying I'm about to drop an entire database... :-( One gets so "yea, whatever" to
warning notifiers...)

Thanks to all who sent helpful suggestions!

On 2013-01-09, at 07:33, Jan Steinman wrote:

> I accidentally dropped a crucial database. My only backup is via Apple's Time
> Machine.
>
> First, I stopped mysqld and copied (via tar) the database in question from the
> backup. Restarted, but drat -- most of the tables were apparently using innodb's ibdata1
> file, as only the MyISAM tables showed up in phpMyAdmin.
>
> I copied the ibdata1, but then mysqld wouldn't start, complaining about no
> mysql.sock, which was odd, because it was there.
>
> I then copied (via tar) the entire set of all databases, but am still having
> problems, I think related to Time Machine's ACL lists and extended attributes.
>
> Anyone have experience and wise words on restoring a database from Time Machine?
>
> Thanks!
>
> ----------------
> :::: Books are associated with communities of writers, printers, proofreaders and a
> host of other people with whom the writer interacts... Granted, there are some websites
> that provide well written and researched articles and information. Unfortunately, many are
> not. The Internet may be more of a time using machine than TV. And its usage is not always
> positive. -- Pat Murphy
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

:::: The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start
making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge

Help restoring database: MacOS Server (Snow Leopard)Jan Steinman9 Jan
  • Re: Help restoring database: MacOS Server (Snow Leopard)Reindl Harald9 Jan
  • Re: Help restoring database: MacOS Server (Snow Leopard)Karen Abgarian9 Jan
  • Re: Help restoring database: MacOS Server (Snow Leopard)Jan Steinman10 Jan