List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chad Vernon Date:December 24 2012 3:11am
Subject:Animation studio asset management
View as plain text
Hi there,
I'm designing an animation studio database to track assets across multiple
shows.  My original design was to have a "show" table to track which asset
belongs to which show with a show_id column.  A couple coworkers suggested
having a database per show because they are worried about performance and
reliability vs a single database as the number of shows grows.  I don't
think reliability would be different because it's all on the same MySQL
server anyways.  Is that assumption correct?  I've read a few articles
about multi-tenant database design, however the motivation for multiple
databases seems to be security which doesn't apply to us.  Am I correct in
trying to push a single database design for this?  If it helps, we have no
dedicated dba and currently a single mysql server machine.

Thanks,
Chad

Thread
Animation studio asset managementChad Vernon24 Dec
  • Re: Animation studio asset managementMichael Anderson24 Dec
    • Re: Animation studio asset managementChad Vernon24 Dec
  • Re: Animation studio asset managementDan Nelson24 Dec
RE: Animation studio asset managementMartin Gainty24 Dec
  • Re: Animation studio asset managementChad Vernon2 Jan