List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rhino Date:December 17 2012 6:09pm
Subject:Basic Question
View as plain text
Is the version of SQL statements that I write for MySQL based on the
server version or the client version?

After a lengthy absence from MySQL, I want to start working with it
again. This time, I'm creating tables for a MySQL installation that
lives on a server for a hosting service. (Basically, I'm just creating
my own tables in the databases that I am allowed to create as a customer
of the hosting service.)

According to phpMyAdmin, the version of the MySQL Client is 4.1.22 but
the MySQL Server version is 5.1.65. When I write SQL, do I need to
ensure that it follows the rules as laid out in the Version 4.1 manual
or the version Version 5.1 manual?

I'm inclined to think that I need to follow the Version 4.1 rules but
just want to be sure.

I'm getting syntax errors when I try to execute SQL in an external
script. (Strangely enough, the script was actually generated by MySQL! I
populated a table with 52 rows of data via the phpMyAdmin Insert panels,
then used Export to write a script describing the contents of the table.
I added somemore inserts to the script but now the script blows up when
I try to use it to drive an Import. It's not even blowing up on the
statements I've added but the ones that it generated itself.I think the
problem will probably stem from missing apostrophes that are garbling
the syntax internally....)

--
Rhino
Thread