List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wayne G Leslie Date:November 26 2012 5:03am
Subject:problems with mysql and php after system software upgrade
View as plain text
During a recent system software upgrade (CentOS) on the front-end of our computing
cluster, the mysql area was upgraded without our realizing that it was going to be.  Now,
php and mysql do not communicate  well with one another. The version of mysql on the
system after the upgrade is 5.1.61.  The mysql originally used was 5.0.45.  PhP was not
upgraded and sits at version 5.3.3.

Execution of a simple php script on our web server

<?php
DEFINE('DB_USER','root');
DEFINE('DB_PASSWORD', 'XXXXXXX');
DEFINE('DB_HOST', 'localhost');
DEFINE('DB_NAME', 'mysql');

$dbc = mysql_connect(DB_HOST,DB_USER,DB_PASSWORD);

if (!$dbc) {
    die('Connect Error (' . mysql_errno() . ') ' . mysql_error());

$db_selected = mysql_select_db(DB_NAME);

if (!$db_selected) {
    die ('Can\'t use' . DB_NAME . ': ' . mysql_error());
}

echo 'Success... Your connection to the Database is working';
}
?>

gives the result - Connect Error (1045) Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

While I can access mysql in a simple fashion [mysql --user=root --pass=XXXXXXXX gives me a
mysql prompt], a straightforward mysqladmin command (mysqladmin version) gives a similar
error to the Connect Error above:

mysqladmin version
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

Do I have a msyql/php version mismatch?  I have tried a number of potential remedies I
found on line but have been unsuccessful to this point.  Guidance from experts would be
much appreciated.

Wayne Leslie

Thread
problems with mysql and php after system software upgradeWayne G Leslie26 Nov