List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karen Abgarian <abvk Date:November 24 2012 10:40pm
Subject:Re: Covering Index without the data file (myisam)
View as plain text
Hello,

Well, you have just invented what is known as index organized tables.   The MyISAM engine
does not implement those.
If it did, it would have to deal with quite a few circumstances unique to IOTs.    One
such circumstance is degradation
of efficiency with the increase of record length, another is bloating the size of
secondary indexes, and there is quite a few more...

In short, the alternative to keeping the MYD file would be much worse :-)

Peace
Karen.