List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:November 22 2012 11:27am
Subject:Re: Query Plan Analyzer
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Cabbar Duzayak" <cabbar@stripped>
>
> Is there a way of looking at how mysql builds the query plan and
> executes it for a given query? EXPLAIN is definitely a useful tool, but it is
> not exact (shows approximations as far as I can see), furthermore I want
> something like how the predicates were applied (before or after
> JOINS), which indexes were used, etc.
>
> Basically, Oracle's EXPLAIN PLAN and SQL TRACE do this, and it is
> very very useful for optimizing queries. Don't get me wrong, I love mysql, but
> with mysql, you optimize queries more by trial and error, instead of
> understanding what exactly is going on.

The Percona Toolset has pt-visual-explain and some other useful tools.

There's also SHOW PROFILE in mysql itself, look at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/show-profiles.html for more about that.

All in all, though, I'm not sure you can go quite as deep as you can in Oracle.

--
Linux Bier Wanderung 2012, now also available in Belgium!
August, 12 to 19, Diksmuide, Belgium - http://lbw2012.tuxera.be