List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:November 22 2012 11:27am
Subject:Re: Query Plan Analyzer
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Cabbar Duzayak" <cabbar@stripped>
> Is there a way of looking at how mysql builds the query plan and
> executes it for a given query? EXPLAIN is definitely a useful tool, but it is
> not exact (shows approximations as far as I can see), furthermore I want
> something like how the predicates were applied (before or after
> JOINS), which indexes were used, etc.
> Basically, Oracle's EXPLAIN PLAN and SQL TRACE do this, and it is
> very very useful for optimizing queries. Don't get me wrong, I love mysql, but
> with mysql, you optimize queries more by trial and error, instead of
> understanding what exactly is going on.

The Percona Toolset has pt-visual-explain and some other useful tools.

There's also SHOW PROFILE in mysql itself, look at for more about that.

All in all, though, I'm not sure you can go quite as deep as you can in Oracle.

Linux Bier Wanderung 2012, now also available in Belgium!
August, 12 to 19, Diksmuide, Belgium -
Query Plan AnalyzerCabbar Duzayak22 Nov
  • RE: Query Plan AnalyzerZhigang Zhang22 Nov
    • Re: Query Plan AnalyzerCabbar Duzayak22 Nov
      • RE: Query Plan AnalyzerRick James26 Nov
  • Re: Query Plan AnalyzerJohan De Meersman22 Nov