List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zhigang Zhang Date:November 22 2012 8:20am
Subject:RE: Query Plan Analyzer
View as plain text
By experience!

-----Original Message-----
From: Cabbar Duzayak [mailto:cabbar@stripped]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:13 PM
To: mysql@stripped
Subject: Query Plan Analyzer

Hi All,

Is there a way of looking at how mysql builds the query plan and executes
it for a given query? EXPLAIN is definitely a useful tool, but it is not
exact (shows approximations as far as I can see), furthermore I want
something like how the predicates were applied (before or after JOINS),
which indexes were used, etc.

Basically, Oracle's EXPLAIN PLAN and SQL TRACE do this, and it is very very
useful for optimizing queries. Don't get me wrong, I love mysql, but with
mysql, you optimize queries more by trial and error, instead of
understanding what exactly is going on.

Thanks a ton.

Thread
Query Plan AnalyzerCabbar Duzayak22 Nov
  • RE: Query Plan AnalyzerZhigang Zhang22 Nov
    • Re: Query Plan AnalyzerCabbar Duzayak22 Nov
      • RE: Query Plan AnalyzerRick James26 Nov
  • Re: Query Plan AnalyzerJohan De Meersman22 Nov