List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tianyin Xu Date:November 19 2012 12:27am
Subject:Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?
View as plain text
Hi, Reindl,

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped>wrote:

> Am 18.11.2012 23:59, schrieb Tianyin Xu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just curious why MySQL parses its configuration directives (i.e., the
> > ones in my.cnf) in a case sensitive way?
> >
> > For example, Having "Port=3309", will receive "unknown variable
> 'Port=3309".
> >
> > I guess there must be some concern for this. Could anyone tell me why?
>
> because every useable OS on this world is case-sensitive?
>
> windows and partly MacOSX are the only OS on this world which
> are not case-senstivie even for filenames and both are NOT
> useable for servers at all

I'm not saying the file names but the configuration directives. At least
for most servers I have managed so far, all the configuration directives
are case insensitive. Examples? PostgreSQL, Apache httpd, OpenLDAP, Squid,
etc. That's why I'm curious. (Yes, please tell me there's no other
case-insensitive software)

> because "A" is binary not the same as "a"
> because computers are working with binary data
>
> because "a.txt" is not the same file as "A.txt"
> because it is useless overhead to translate every input
> because if you maintain a server you should have a working keyboard
> because a configuration should be clear and not a guess what you mean

I'm glad most MySQL folks are not like you. I'm happy to see "M" and "m"
refers to the same thing, and "K" and "k" also. If you wanna everyone
follow your binary-by-binary rule, nobody gonna use your stuff.

> because if this is a problem for you maybe you have the wrong job
>
> I don't think it's wrong to make your software as friend as possible.

Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Thread
Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu18 Nov
  • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Reindl Harald18 Nov
    • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu19 Nov
      • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Reindl Harald19 Nov
        • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu19 Nov
          • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Reindl Harald19 Nov
            • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Karen Abgarian19 Nov
            • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu19 Nov
              • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Eric Bergen24 Nov
                • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu24 Nov
                  • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Eric Bergen24 Nov
                    • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu24 Nov
                • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Johan De Meersman26 Nov