List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:November 18 2012 11:11pm
Subject:Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?
View as plain text

Am 18.11.2012 23:59, schrieb Tianyin Xu:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious why MySQL parses its configuration directives (i.e., the
> ones in my.cnf) in a case sensitive way?
>
> For example, Having "Port=3309", will receive "unknown variable 'Port=3309".
>
> I guess there must be some concern for this. Could anyone tell me why?

because every useable OS on this world is case-sensitive?

windows and partly MacOSX are the only OS on this world which
are not case-senstivie even for filenames and both are NOT
useable for servers at all

because "A" is binary not the same as "a"
because computers are working with binary data

because "a.txt" is not the same file as "A.txt"
because it is useless overhead to translate every input
because if you maintain a server you should have a working keyboard
because a configuration should be clear and not a guess what you mean

because if this is a problem for you maybe you have the wrong job

Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu18 Nov
  • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Reindl Harald18 Nov
    • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu19 Nov
      • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Reindl Harald19 Nov
        • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu19 Nov
          • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Reindl Harald19 Nov
            • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Karen Abgarian19 Nov
            • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu19 Nov
              • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Eric Bergen24 Nov
                • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu24 Nov
                  • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Eric Bergen24 Nov
                    • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Tianyin Xu24 Nov
                • Re: Why configuration directives are all case sensitive?Johan De Meersman26 Nov