List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lorenzo Milesi Date:November 5 2012 10:19pm
Subject:Change storage engine to InnoDB
View as plain text
Hi.

I've a (large?) FreeRadius database with MySQL 5.0.51.
When the database was set up, MyISAM engine was used. Since now we're experiencing some
performance problems, I was considering the migration to InnoDB, which I read should be
faster.

MySQL is a master/master replica setup. Since the ALTER TABLE will take some minutes (I
did a test run on a separate db), and one of the two database while still active is not
publicly accessible, I tought I could run the alter on the "offline" db first using the
following:
SET SQL_LOG_BIN=0;
ALTER TABLE ... ENGINE=InnoDB;
SET SQL_LOG_BIN=1;

then switch the online db and run the same on the second node.
From what I've read around, and basicly here [1], the main adivces are about disk storage,
but not much more...

My questions are:
* will I really gain in performance by switching to Innodb?
* is the above procedure a good schedule?
* is there anything else I should care about, before starting?

Thanks!
maxxer

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/converting-tables-to-innodb.html
--
Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi@stripped

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it

Thread
Change storage engine to InnoDBLorenzo Milesi5 Nov
  • RE: Change storage engine to InnoDBRick James6 Nov
    • Re: Change storage engine to InnoDBLorenzo Milesi6 Nov
    • Re: Change storage engine to InnoDBLorenzo Milesi20 Nov
      • RE: Change storage engine to InnoDBRick James20 Nov
        • Re: Change storage engine to InnoDBLorenzo Milesi21 Nov