List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:November 1 2012 3:49pm
Subject:Re: Mysql backup for large databases
View as plain text
good luck

i would call snapshots on a running system much more dumb
than "innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2" on systems with
100% stable power instead waste IOPS on shared storages

Am 01.11.2012 16:45, schrieb Singer Wang:
> Assuming you're not doing dumb stuff like innodb_flush_log_at_tx=0 or 2 and etc, you
> should be fine. We have been
> using the trio: flush tables with read lock, xfs_freeze, snapshot for months now
> without any issues. And we test
> the backups (we load the backup into a staging once a day, and dev once a week)
>
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped
> <mailto:h.reindl@stripped>> wrote:
>
>     > Why do you need downtime?
>
>     because mysqld has many buffers in memory and there
>     is no atomic "flush buffers in daemon and freeze backend FS"
>
>     short ago there was a guy on this list which had to realize
>     this the hard way with a corrupt slave taken from a snapshot
>
>     that's why i would ALWAYS do master/slave what means ONE time
>     down (rsync; stop master; rsync; start master) for a small
>     timewindow and after that you can stop the slave, take a
>     100% consistent backup of it's whole datadir and start
>     the slave again which will do all transactions from the
>     binarylog happened in the meantime

Mysql backup for large databasesMachiel Richards - Gmail1 Nov
  • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesDimitre Radoulov1 Nov
  • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesReindl Harald1 Nov
    • RE: Mysql backup for large databasesRick James1 Nov
      • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesSinger Wang1 Nov
        • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesReindl Harald1 Nov
          • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesSinger Wang1 Nov
            • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesReindl Harald1 Nov
              • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesmachiel.richards1 Nov
  • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesKaren Abgarian1 Nov
    • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesManuel Arostegui2 Nov
  • Re: Mysql backup for large databasesKaren Abgarian2 Nov